This is actually a prawns recipe and I so badly wanted to make it but then it didnt happen. Finally I ended up using chicken and this Little Miss Honey Chicken was happy to do a “prawns pose” while taking the snap ;). This is a pretty simple recipe which is great as a starter and also as a side dish. It sure is a crowd pleaser and I guess it’s biggest fans will be kids :) Before going to the recipe, I would like to share something else..
I attended a Thai cooking class sometime ago. It was conducted by Movenpick Hotel,Bahrain. It was a wonderful experience. It was the very first time I had attended any cooking class apart from the summer vacation cooking class I took part in Vimalalayam years n years ago.
The chef from Movenpick hotel in Phuket, Thailand was here and he was giving us the lessons along with the Thai chef in their Bahrain hotel.I came to know about it through Miriam, but since she was leaving for India, she couldnt attend :(. They showed us a 5 course meal…salad, soup, green chicken curry, phad thai and dessert. It was a hands on cooking class and we had fun. We, my friend Simi n myself got the chance to make green chicken curry. Simi was the main chef and I was the sous chef, I basically did the stirring part ;). Well, whether I will cook this at home? I’m not sure…I guess I prefer having Thai food at restaurants to home ;)
You can see some pics of it below.
Now, back to our Honey Chick, Here is the recipe:
- 250 gms Boneless chicken (cut into strips)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Plain flour
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 1 Egg white
- 1 med – big Onion
- 1 tsp Ginger & garlic (each)
- 1-2 tbsp Celery
- 1.5 tsp Kashmiri chilly powder
- 1/2 tbsp Vinegar
- 1.5 – 2 tbsp Tomato sauce
- 1.5 tbsp Honey
- Cut the chicken pieces into thin strips. Marinate the cleaned chicken pieces with lemon juice, plain flour, cornflour, egg white and salt. Keep aside for 15 mins.
- Fry the marinated chicken pieces and keep aside. Heat oil in a pan and add finely chopped onion, ginger, garlic & celery. Saute till the onion becomes soft, it doesnt have to become brown. Mix together Kashmiri chilly powder & vinegar. Add this paste to the onion mix. Fry it for 1-2 mins, till the raw smell of the chilly powder is gone.
- Add tomato sauce, honey & salt. Mix well. Add the fried chicken pieces and combine well. Make sure that the chicken pieces are well coated with the sauce. Serve hot with fried rice.