Kachimoru (seasoned buttermilk) is the undisputed gravy for lunch for as long as I remember. Back home in Kerala, my place has Kachimoru everyday without fail. I guess Choru (rice) and Kachimoru is Malayali’s dal chawal. Don’t you think so?
Even now, when I plan for lunch, Kachimoru is a given. I think it takes a conscious effort on my side to make a different gravy for lunch.
I first tasted this Vellarikka Manga Curry at my brother’s place in Mumbai. I guess this curry is the kachimoru equivalent for my sis in law ;) I love sour flavour in any dish and I enjoyed this curry with rice and since then I also make this often.
If you are looking for variety gravy recipes for rice on a daily basis. This is a good recipe. It’s very simple and comforting. Hope you give it a try.
Here is the recipe…
- 400- 450 gm Vellarikka (Golden Cucumber) (peeled and seeded and cubed, measured before cleaning)
- 1 Small - medium Raw mango (sliced, adjust the qty according to the sourness of the mango)
- 2-3 Green chilli (Slit lengthwise)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 1/4 cup Grated coconut
- 1/4 tsp Jeera (cumin)
- 1/4 tsp Chopped garlic
- 2 Small / pearl onion (sliced)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 4-5 Small / Pearl Onion (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Dry red chillies
- A pinch Turmeric and chilli powder
- Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Coconut oil
- Cook together cubed golden cucumber, sliced mango, green chilli, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and salt with 2.5 cups water. Bring it to a boil and cook on lowest flame, till cucumber and mango becomes tender. Around 12 - 15 mins.
- Grind together grated coconut, cumin, 2 small onion, chopped garlic, coriander powder and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder with 1/2 cup water for 3-4 mins. Add another 1/2 cup water and grind for 3-4 mins till it becomes a smooth paste.
- Add 1/4 cup water to the coconut paste and mix well using a spatula. Add this to the cooked cucumber and mango. Mix well. Cook on low flame for 7 - 10 mins. Do not let it boil.
- Heat oil in a small pan and crackle the mustard seeds. Add sliced small onion, dry red chilli and curry leaves. Fry it till the onion becomes golden brown. Add a pinch of turmeric and chilli powder. Mix well and add to the curry. Let the curry rest for 15 minutes and serve with rice.