It's the birthday month of the blog and the blogger :)
I know it's not a typical birthday cake recipe, but I love plain cakes! If you ask me they are the bestest!
I've been wanting to bake this cake forever and finally baked it the other day. Though its a no frills cake, it tastes wow!
Just imagine a perfect buttery moist cake with golden crust and tender crumbs that melts into your mouth…it's pure happiness in cake form ;)
You can have it plain or you can dress it up with some custard/whipped cream and berries/fruit compote. Either way it's fab!
MM celebrates 16th birthday this month!! I'm happy that blog has come this long, though there is much scope for improvement ;) Thank You for being a part of MM!!
I do really hope you give this recipe a try and love it like just we did.
Recipe from Bava R. Lukose's Suriyani Cookery
- 2 cups Plain flour (maida)
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 4 Eggs (@room temp)
- 1 3/4 cups Sugar
- 113 gms (1/2 cup) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup Milk (I used full fat)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract (optional, refer notes)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C, for 10 mins before baking. Grease an eight or nine- inch cake tin (I used a 9 -inch loaf tin with butter and line with parchment paper.
- Sieve together plain flour and baking powder.
- With an electric beater, beat together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract (if using) until it's light and fluffy.
- Add flour and milk alternately to the above. Start and end with flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake in the pre-heated oven for 45-50 mins or until the center of the the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake rest in the cake tin for 10 mins and transfer onto a serving plate. Once the cake is cooled completely slice and serve.