Ramadan Kareem! The holy month of Ramadan started last week. Some of you sent me email asking for special Ramadan recipes. That's when I was reminded about the Malabar Cuisine cookery book I bought from Kerala last year. Though I had bookmarked many recipes in that book, didn't get a chance to try any. So what's a better time than this to try out the Malabar delicacies?
This recipe is completely new to me. I've always noticed that egg plays an important role in Malabar cuisine. They use egg as a main ingredient in a variety of dishes and this one is no exception. This can be served as a tea time snack or as a starter. I was a bit skeptical about how it would turn out but I was surprised with the end result. How such simple ingredients can be turned into something this beautiful still astonishes me. Hope you like it too.
Here is the recipe:
Egg Chutney KebabPrint
- 4 Eggs hardboiled & cut lengthwise
- 2 Egg white lightly beaten
- Oil for deep frying
- 3/4 cup Grated Coconut
- 2 Green chillies
- 1/2 - 1 tsp each Ginger & garlic
- A big handful Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Grind coconut, green chillies, ginger, garlic & coriander to a paste. Add a little water, if required. Add lemon juice & salt to the coconut chutney & mix well. Take a piece of boiled egg and cover with chutney over the cut surface.
- Evenly dip in beaten egg whites and fry carefully. Repeat the process with all the eggs. Serve hot with tomato sauce/ketchup.