For all those people who are not familiar with this dish, I will give a small introduction. This is a typical Kerala tea time snack. It's usually available in the local tea shops. It's very simple & easy to make & this is one of my favorite tea time snack, nalumanipalaharam :)
Here is the recipe…
- 1/2 kg Cherupayar (Moong Dal)
- 1/4 kg Jaggery
- 2 cups Grated Coconut
- 1.5 cups Plain Flour
- 1.5 cups Gram / besan Flour
- 5 Cardamom ( crushed)
- Cook cherupayar in 3 cups water & drain the water completely. Make sure that it is not overcooked.
- Melt Jaggery by adding 1/4 cup water.
- When it melts add coconut, cooked cherupayar, and crushed & cardamom. Mix well. Make sure that the mix is dry. Remove from fire.
- Combine plain flour & besan flour. Add little water to this & make a thick batter.
- When the mixture (cherupayar+coconut+jaggery) is cool enough to touch, make small balls with the mix. Dip each balls in the batter and make sure it's coated well with the batter.
- Deep fry till it becomes golden brown all around.