Here is the recipe…
Recipe source: Everyday Cookery, Baking
- 75 gms Fresh white bread crumbs (3 pieces approx)
- 25 gms Granulated sugar
- 450 ml Full cream milk
- 25 gms Butter
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 medium Eggs (separated)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp Seedless raspberry jam
- 50 gms Caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170 degree/325 F. Oil a 900 ml/ 1 1/1 pint baking dish. and reserve. Mix the breadcrumbs and sugar together in a bowl. Pour the milk into a small saucepan and heat gently with the butter and lemon rind until the butter has melted. Add the vanilla essence & stir well. Allow the mixture to cool a little, then pour over the breadcrumbs. Stir well and leave to saok for 30 minutes.Whisk the egg yolks into the cooled breadcrumb mixture and pour into the prepared dish. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until firm and set. Remove from the oven. ( If you don't want topping, you can stop at this stage. Once the pudding is cooled, keep in fridge and serve cold)
- Allow to cool slightly, then spread the jam over the pudding. whisk the egg whites until stiff and standing in peaks. Gently fold in the caster sugar with a metal spoon. Pile the meringue over the top of the pudding. Return the dish to the oven for a further 20 -25 minutes, or until the meringue is crisp and just slightly colored. Serve hot or cold.
Be careful to use baking dish of the correct size to get the right thickness for the base.
Tried this recipe? Let others know by...mentioning @mariasmenu or tagging #mariasmenu
Pages: 1 2
7 thoughts on “Queen of Puddings”
Hi Maria, Congrats on your 100th recipe. I go through your site every day which motivates me to cook .Esp, the pictures you post are very tempting. i am a great fan of your stories u write before the recipe. Keep going.
Thank you so much Nisha :) Btw, it’s an old post. Now I think it should be more than 300 posts…
Thanks again for your encouraging feedback.
Very easy recepies. Good job. Thanks for the same. Want to try the china grass pudding. I tried for china grass in the supermarket in Dubai. Kindly advise where is it available and how does it look like? what is the colour of the packet and what is written on the packet.
Thank you :)
China grass is also known as agar agar, so check for that name on the packet. Its usually kept along with gelatine, check out in the baking section. There are different flavors available like strawberry (pink colour) pineapple (yellow colour) and plain (which is kind of transparent). Its usually available in bars of 10 gms each.
Hope you could find it soon…
Thanks Mishmash & Rachel :)
Mishmash – by full cream milk, I meant full fat milk and not heavy cream.
Congrats Maria on the 100th post! Keep going!
Congrats, Maria :) Wishing you many more glorious years in blogging :)
Full Cream milk is heavy cream right or u re referring to something else?
Comments are closed.