Here is the recipe…
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Butter (14 gms)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1.5 cups Plain Flour
- 1 1/8 tsp Yeast (refer notes)
- 1/8 cup Sugar (2 tbsp approx)
- 1 Egg (lightly beaten)
- 1.5 tbsp Butter (melted)
- 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon Powder
- 3-4 tbsp Brown Sugar (I used dark brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup Icing sugar
- 3/4 -1 tbsp Melted Butter
- 1/8 tsp Vanilla essence
- 3/4 – 1 tbsp Milk / Water (I used water)
- 1.5 tbsp Brown sugar
- A handful of Walnuts
- Preheat the oven @ 180 C for 10 mins, before baking.
- Mix together salt, flour, yeast & sugar. Heat milk, water & butter till the butter melts. Add dry ingredients & beaten egg to the wet ingredients. Mix together to make a dough. Transfer the dough to a floured surface & knead it for a few minutes, till you get a smooth dough (without stickiness). Transfer the dough to an oiled vessel & cover it with a cling film. Let it rest till the dough doubles (about 1.5-2 hrs).
- Combine the brown sugar & cinnamon for the filling. Punch down the risen dough & roll it out into a rectangle on a floured surface. Smear the dough with melted butter. Sprinkle brown sugar & cinnamon mix evenly over the dough. Roll the dough up into a log starting at the long side. Press together the edges to seal it. Depending on the size you want (mini or medium size rolls), cut the dough using a serrated knife. Place the rolls cut side down into a greased baking pan. Cover, and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake the rolls in the preheated oven for around 20-25 mins. Meanwhile make the icing by mixing together all ingredients listed under ‘frosting'.
- Allow the baked rolls to cool for 10 mins & spread the frosting over the baked rolls. Top it with candied walnuts
- To make candied walnuts, melt the sugar with 1 tsp of water. When it melts, add the chopped walnuts & mix well. Make sure the walnuts are coated with melted sugar. Spread it on al.foil & let it cool. Break it into small pieces.
The original recipe calls for active dry yeast but I used Instant yeast. You can adjust the qty of brown sugar and cinnamon for the filling to suit your taste. I prefer mini rolls,so cut the rolls into 1 inch size. I got around 15 mini cinnamon rolls from the above qty. I stored the frosted cinnamon rolls @ room temp for 2 days in an airtight container. Microwave the rolls for a few seconds before serving.
Recipe adapted from here.