Here is the recipe..
Cake recipe adapted from here
Vanilla Buttermilk Cupcake With Salted Caramel IcingPrint
For the cake
- 1 cup Unsalted butter 16 Tbsp softened
- 2 1/4 cups Sugar
- 3 large Eggs @ room temp
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla extract/essence
- 3 cups Plain flour
- 3/4 tsp Baking powder
- 3/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Buttermilk refer notes for substitute
For the icing
- 60 gms Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Light Brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1.5 cups Icing sugar
For the praline
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Chopped cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp Water
- For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 180 C, 10 mins before baking. Line the cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar, beating until light and fluffy (3-4 minutes).
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, fully incorporating the first before moving on to the next. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the vanilla extract/essence.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the butter mixture, starting with the dry and ending with the buttermilk in 3 additions.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake tins, lined with cupcake liners (refer notes). Bake for 15-17 mins or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before you frost them.
- For the icing:
- Melt butter, brown sugar and milk, till the butter melts. Bring it to a boil and remove from heat. Let it cool for 5-10 mins. Add sifted icing sugar and mix well using a wire whisk or wooden spatula. The icing is of spreadable consistency.
- To make praline:
- Heat sugar in a non stick pan with 1 tbsp water, when it start caramelising, add chopped nuts. Make sure the nuts are coated well with the caramel. Pour the praline onto a baking/parchment paper. Let it cool. Crush them using a rolling pin.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled completely, you can spread the icing on the cupcakes using a spoon or spatula. Sprinkle the praline on top as soon as you finish the icing. Keep aside for 10-15 mins for the icing to set.
1 cup buttermilk = 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar + enough milk to make 1 cup. Let stand for 5 minutes
1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup plain yogurt
For eggless version, check out this recipe
To make it as a cake:
Grease and flour (or coat in baking spray) a 10-cup Bundt pan and set aside.Spread in the prepared Bundt pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
If you are making it as cupcake, make sure, you leave enough space for the cake to rise, this cake tends to rise well, so spoon the batter accordingly.
I got 27 medium size cupcakes from the above qty. You can store the iced cupcakes at room temp, in an airtight container for 2-3 days, unless you live in a very humid place.
If the icing tends to harden while spreading, loosen it with a bit of hot milk. If you feel the icing is too sweet, you can add a pinch of flaky sea salt to cut down the sweetness.
I thought this cake with the icing was a bit on the sweeter side, but Jose found it ok. If you dont prefer it too sweet, I suggest you make salted caramel icing.