Here goes the step by step pictures and the recipe…
Add cold butter cubes to the flour mixture…
Rub in the butter till the whole mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs…
Add ice cold water little by little to form a dough…
Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for 20-25 mins…
Make the mushroom filling…
Combine grated cheese, beaten eggs and milk…
Take a lemon size ball from dough…(if you are using a big tin, skip this step)
Roll out the dough…
Transfer the rolled out dough to the tin and trim, if required and prick the base all over with a fork…
Spread the mushroom filling and pour the cheese, milk and egg mixture to the prepared tart/quiche tins…
Bake in the preheated oven until puffed and brown, around 25-30 mins…
For the Crust/Pastry
- 200 gms Plain flour (1.5 cups, approx)
- 100 gms Cold butter (cut into cubes)
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 3-4 tbsp Ice cold water (refer notes)
- 1/2 tsp Salt (omit if you are using salted butter)
For the filling
- 3 med - large Onion (chopped)
- 250-300 gms Mushroom (sliced (I used button mushroom))
- 3 tbsp Spring onion (chopped (optional))
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- Oil/Butter - for cooking the filling (I used olive oil)
- 100 - 125 gms Grated cheese (Mozzarella or Cheddar)
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs (lightly beaten)
- Preheat the oven @ 180 C, 10 mins before baking.
- Mix together flour, salt (if using) and baking powder. Rub in cold butter cubes till the whole mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add ice cold water gradually and make a dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for 20-25 mins.
- Heat oil/butter in a pan and saute chopped onions. When onions turn brown, add salt and pepper. Add sliced mushrooms and chopped spring onion. Mix well. Cover and cook till its done. Dont forget to give a stir in between to avoid sticking it to the bottom of the pan.
- Combine lightly beaten eggs, milk and cheese.
- Grease the quiche/tart tins with butter. Roll out the refrigerated dough depending on the size of the tin you are using. Transfer the rolled out dough to the tin and trim the edges, if required. Prick the base all over with a fork.
- Spread the mushroom filling in the tart tin and pour the egg, cheese and milk mixture on top of it. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 mins. The baking time may vary depending on the size of the tin used. I used small and medium size tart tins and have given the time accordingly.