It’s been sometime since our last chat, right? I had planned a round up and a new year special post, but it didn’t happen. The year has started and the half of the first moth is almost over and nothing is going as per my plans, including this unintentional break. However, no complaints! I do hope you had a wonderful holidays with your loved ones.
Have you taken any new year resolutions? I’m not a resolution person, however if you’ve taken something, I wish you the very best and hope it works out for you.
Let’s start the new year with a sweet treat!
Pound cake is something that we love. Add some lemon to it and it sure is a treat! Like most of my cake recipes, it’s simple, easy and no frill recipe. You can bake it for a weekend or for a small get together or brunch.
The cake is moist with tender crumbs and not too sweet. The flavour of lemon is just right, not overpowering. I do hope you give this a try and like it too.
I also hope that I’ll be more regular with my posts here, keeping fingers crossed! I know it’s a bit late, but…
We wish you and your loved ones a beautiful and blessed year ahead!
Here is the recipe…
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside…
Add the butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes…
Add eggs and almond extract. Beat with mixer until well mixed…
Add milk mixture and beat until you have a smooth mixture…
Lemon Pound CakePrint
- 128 gms Unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 tbsp Powdered sugar divided, refer notes
- 2 large Lemons zested and juiced - (about 2 tablespoons zest and 1/2 cup juice)
- 1/2 cup Full fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups Plain flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 3 large Eggs @ room temperature
- 1 tsp Pure almond extract I didnt use
- Preheat oven to 175 C, 10 mins before baking.
- Prepare a 9”x5” loaf pan by brushing with 1 tablespoon butter and then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and shake the pan back and forth to coat. Shake excess into sink. Set aside.
- Combine lemon and milk in a small bowl. Use a 1 cup measuring cup; pour in lemon juice and then add milk. Set aside for 5-7 mins.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine lemon zest and sugar. Mix with an electric mixer on low until all of the sugar is coated in the oils from the lemon zest. Add the butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and almond extract. Beat with mixer until well mixed. Add milk mixture and beat until you have a smooth mixture.
- With the electric mixer on low, add flour and mix until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in baking pan for 10 minutes, then turn out to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely (or serve immediately).
- Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!
I didnt use the powdered sugar for dusting or for sprinkling on the top. I greased the baking dish and lined it with parchment paper.
The cake keeps well @ room temp for 3-4 days in an airtight container.