Here is the recipe..
Heat oil/ghee in a pan and crackle mustard and urad dal. Add sliced small onion, chopped ginger, green chilli and coconut. Fry it till the onion turns golden brown…
- 2 cups Idli batter
- 6 Small onion / Pearl onion sliced
- 1/2 tsp Chopped ginger
- 1 Green chilli chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp Grated Coconut optional
- 1/4 tsp Urad dal
- 1/4 tsp Mustard
- Oil / ghee
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan and crackle mustard and urad dal. Add sliced small onion, chopped ginger, green chilli and coconut. Fry it till the onion turns golden brown.
- Add the fried items and chopped coriander leaves to the idli batter and mix well.
- Heat oil in Paniyaram/Unniyappam pan. Make sure the oil is hot, but not smoking hot. Drop spoonfuls of the batter into hot oil and deep fry till golden brown. Flip the paniyaram, once, to cook both sides.
I got around 20 Paniyaram from the above qty. I used sunflower oil for cooking and frying. I used around 1/2-1 tsp of oil for each paniyaram. It's better to serve it hot/warm. Make sure the temp is correct, if it's too high, the outside may get browned fadt while the inside remains uncooked.
Heat the pan at first on med -high and once it's hot enough, reduce it to low-medium and continue cooking.