I was looking for an eggless choco chip cookie recipe for a long long time. Most of the recipes I came across had ingredients like flaxseed, egg replacer or something of that sort. I wanted to try a recipe which makes use of the ingredients I usually have at home. I almost gave up my search for the same, but baking fairy finally appeared on one of the Google searches! Looks like when you really want something to happen, universe does help you ;)
I was praying and hoping for this recipe to work out well and it did! I loved every bit of this recipe and it stores well too. These cookies made our tea time extra special!
Now about the texture of this cookie.. it's a bit chewy and it's not exactly biscuity. It has a nice crunch to it, but at the same time, it's a bit soft. Try for yourself and tell me how you liked it, deal?
Here you go with the step by step pictures…
Recipe adapted from here
Cream together butter and sugars. Add the vanilla essence and buttermilk and beat until creamy…
Mix flour, baking soda and salt. Add the sifted flour to the butter mixture and fold…
Add the chips and raisins or nuts, if using (refer notes). Mix well. Refrigerate for 1hour…
Preheat oven to 175C. Make small lemon sized balls out of the dough and place 2″ apart on a butter paper lined baking tray. Bake for 12 – 16 minutes…
- 1/2 cup Butter (113 gms @ room temp)
- 1/2 cup Sugar ( refer notes)
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar (I used soft light brown sugar with sand like texture)
- 1/3 cup Buttermilk (@ room temp, refer notes for substitution)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1.5 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Cream together butter and sugars. Add the vanilla essence and buttermilk and beat until creamy. Mix flour, baking soda and salt. Add the sifted flour to the butter mixture and fold.
- Add the chips and raisins or nuts, if using (refer notes). Mix well. Refrigerate for 1hour.
- Preheat oven to 175C. Make small lemon sized balls out of the dough and place 2″ apart on a butter paper lined baking tray. Flatten each ball slightly with your hands.
- Bake for 12 – 16 minutes. Look out for browning at the bottom of the cookie. Remove from oven and let it cool on the tray. Remove the cookies carefully from the paper and place on wire rack and let it cool completely. Store in airtight jar. Serve along with coffee.
You can also add chopped walnuts or raisins if you like. The qty can vary anywhere between 1/2 – 1 cup, as per your preference (I didnt add any raisins or nuts). Keep in mind that the cookies really expand during baking, so make sure that you place the cookies accordingly in the baking sheet. Do not crowd the baking sheet. My cookies were ready in 14-16 mins. After the first 10-11 mins of baking, rotate the baking sheet and bake for 3-4 more mins to ensure uniform browning. I got 26 cookies med-big size cookies from the above qty. You can store the cookies in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks @ room temp.