Am surprised at times, when I see how much some people love eggs. I like eggs, but am not a big fan of it. At my home only my amma is crazy about eggs, my appa being a total veggie doesn't have eggs and me n my bro have eggs, but we are not in love with it. After my bro's and my wedding, amma has company..marumon ( son in law) and marumol (daughter in law) are big motta (egg) fans :). We call one of my uncle's family, motta family, because all of them are really crazy about eggs (luckily the new member of their family, son in law is also a big egg fan) and whenever they eat outside, they make sure that at least one item is an egg dish!! Btw, how do you say egg in malayalam, motta or mutta? I like motta because I find it cute :) just like mottayi (instead of muttayi/ mittayi) for toffee ;)
Ok, coming to this recipe…this is for all egg lovers. I got the recipe from my friend Sumi, this is her mom's recipe. Though am not an egg fan, I liked this sandwich after the first bite itself and got the recipe from her immediately. Sumi also packed some sandwiches for me to take home and I was very sure that Jose would love it and yes he absolutely loved it :) . Whenever I've made it for some guests, they all asked for the recipe and I always give credit to Sumi and her mom :) Hope you will also like it…
Here is the recipe:
- 2 Boiled eggs
- 1 small – medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 small Tomato (finely chopped)
- 1-2 tsp Tomato ketchup (optional)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp Crushed pepper
- 4-5 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 4-6 slices Bread
- Heat oil in a pan and saute chopped onion. When it becomes soft, add chopped tomatoes, crushed pepper and salt. Stir for a few minutes and add tomato ketchup. Cook till tomatoes become soft. Remove from gas and let it cool. Mash the boiled eggs. Add the mashed eggs and mayonnaise to onion, tomato mix. Combine everything well. Spread on one slice of bread and cover it with another slice.
- Use only egg whites, brown bread and low fat mayo and follow the above recipe.