What’s your favorite side dish for Nei Choru (Ghee rice)? Let me guess… it’s a non veg dish, right?. Have you tried ghee rice with Parippu Curry (Dal Curry)? I’ve read in some books, that Dal and Ghee Rice combo is very common in Malabar side. That combo sounded a bit strange to me at first, since I always associated nei choru with non veg side dishes. But I happened to try this combo and I was pleasantly surprised! It paired so well, not to mention the added taste of pappad and some pickle on the side. It was a beautiful and satisfying meal.
This is the kind of dish that you can cook during a weekend for your family. It guarantees you a very special treat with not much effort. Sounds tempting, right?
I’ve given the simplest form of ghee rice recipe which I got from my friend Sheena. Thank you Sheena :)
So here’s my take on the side dishes for ghee rice…
Step by Step Pictures…
Heat ghee in a wide and deep pan. Add crushed masala and fry for a min or two. Add chopped onion and fry till it becomes pink in colour…
Cover and cook on low flame till the water is dried completely and rice is cooked. Garnish the cooked rice with fried onions, cashew and raisins…
- Kaima/Jeerakasala rice – 1 cup (refer notes for substitution)
- Onion – 1 small, chopped finely
- Cloves – 3
- Cardamom – 3
- Cinnamon – a small piece
- Bay leaf – 1
- Boiling water – 1¾ – 2 cups (refer notes)
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Onion – 1 small, sliced finely
- Cashews & raisins – 5-10, each
- Wash the rice well. Crush together cloves, cinnamon and cardamom. Heat ghee in a wide and deep pan. Add crushed masala and fry for a min or two. Add chopped onion and fry till it becomes pink in colour. Add the washed rice and fry for 5-7 mins on low flame. Stir in between. Add salt and boiling water. Cover and cook on low flame till the water is dried completely and rice is cooked.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan and fry the cashews and raisins till it turns golden brown. In the same oil, fry the sliced onion, till it becomes golden brown.
- Garnish the cooked rice with fried onions, cashew and raisins.
- Serve with Parippu Curry (dal curry) or any veg or non veg curry of your choice and pappad. Curries that has a thick and rich gravy pairs well with ghee rice.