I first tasted fish cutlets after my marriage. My mother in law is known for her cutlets. Her beef and fish cutlets are two things that I always look forward to during my India trip. So I got the recipe from her and made these cutlets. It’s a very easy recipe and since fish gets cooked pretty fast, it doesn’t take much time also.
If you haven’t tried fish cutlets yet, do give it a try. I do hope you will like it.
Please read notes section before you proceed with the recipe
- Kingfish - ½ kg
- Crushed ginger & garlic - 1 tablespoon each
- Green chilli - 2,3
- Onion - 1 medium
- Garam masala - ½ teaspoon
- Pepper powder - ½, 1 teaspoon
- Boiled potato - 1 medium
- Egg white - 1 egg
- Bread crumbs - 1 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Curry leaves
- Wash & clean the fish. Boil fish with crushed ginger & garlic, green chillies & curry leaves. Remove the bones from the fish & mince the fish.
- Heat oil in a pan & and saute onion. Add minced fish & stir. Add salt & pepper. Stir well. Add garam masala. Cook for 5 more minutes. Mash the boiled potatoes. When the fish mix cools, add mashed potatoes, mix well & make small balls.
- Beat the egg white. Dip the fish balls in egg white & roll with bread crumbs. Deep fry in oil.
I tried making this cutlets with frozen fish fillet and it worked out well.
Though I prefer deep frying for cutlets, you can also shallow fry them if you like.