- King fish - ½ kg
- Onion - 2 big
- Crushed Ginger & garlic - 1 tablespoon each
- Crushed green chilli - 1 tablespoon
- Tomato - 3 medium
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Curd - ¼ cup
- Ghee/dalda - 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder - 2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder - ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- Ginger & garlic - 1 table spoon each
- Small onion - 3,4
- Fenugreek - a pinch
- Mustard - a pinch
- Coconut - 2 tablespoon
- Poppy seeds - ½ tablespoon
- Cashew nuts - 1 tablespoon (soaked in water)
- Basmati rice - 2 cups
- water - 4 cups
- Cardamom - 6
- Cinnamon - 2 medium size stick
- Clove - 6
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Lemon Juice - 1-2 tablespoon
- Masala Preparation
- Grind together all the ingredients for marination into a fine paste. Marinate the cleaned fish pieces with this paste for half an hour. Grind together the ingredients for white paste & keep aside. Shallow fry the marinated fish till it is half cooked. Add 1 tablespoon ghee/dalda to this oil & saute the onion till it becomes soft. Add the crushed ginger, garlic & green chilli & saute for 3 minutes. Add coriander powder. When the oil starts appearing add the tomatoes.When the tomatoes are cooked well add ¼ cup curd. Mix well. Add the shallow fried fish pieces.Make sure that the fish pieces are covered with gravy.After 5 minutes add the white paste. When the gravy becomes thick & fish is cooked remove from fire.
- Rice Preparation
- Boil 4 cups of water with half of the whole masala ( cardamom, cloves & cinnamon ) & let it cool. Clean the rice & soak for 25 minutes & drain the water completely. Heat ghee/dalda in a pan.Fry the remaining whole masala and add rice. When the rice starts cracking add boiled water, salt & lemon juice. Cook the rice till the water is completely dried.
- Layering the biriyani
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree 10 minutes before baking the biriyani.Butter a baking dish. Spread one layer of fish masala first & a layer of rice on top of it. Repeat the same.The top layer should be of rice. You can drizzle ghee & sprinkle coriander leaves in between the layers. Spread a wet cloth over the dish while baking. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. (Refer notes for stove top method)Garnish with fried onions,nuts, raisins.
- Serve the biriyani with raitha,mango chammanthi & pappad.
If you dont have an oven to bake the biriyani, do the following method.
1. Layer the rice and masala in a greased heavy bottomed vessel/non stick pan & cover it with a tight lid.
2. Heat a thava/dosa kallu, when it is really hot, place the biriyani vessel on top of that. Reduce the heat to the lowest flame & cook for 20-25 mins. Keep the heat at the lowest flame throughout, otherwise it might get burnt.
3. Also place a pan of boiling water on top of the biriyani vessel at the same time.