I used to bake this cake regularly, 3-4 years ago, then I got bored and stopped baking it altogether. Well, I’ve a tendency to overdo things. If I’m hyper, I’ll make sure to use every ounce of my energy to do something productive, similarly, if I’m lethargic, I make sure not to get out of bed ;) But these days, I’m working to find a middle ground, the thing is I find the middle ground too boring a place to be. Let’s see how it works..
Anyways, we had some friends come over during the weekend. I wanted to make a simple dessert, not too dressy and zeroed in on this one. Also, I wanted to slowly get into the baking mode. I was going slow on the baking front for quite sometime. Now that the Christmas season is around the corner, I wanted to warm up and be ready for the season of baking!
That’s another reason why I chose this recipe. This is a quick-mix cake. It’s ideal for a warm up session,no complications and confusions and to top it off very few ingredients. This cake has a brownie texture. It pairs well with ice cream, but since the climate is changing here and everybody is going through the “cold and flu” phase, I decided to make a chocolate sauce instead. Honestly, you dont even need the chocolate sauce, it is good as it is, just dust some icing sugar on top and you are ready to go. I had some hidden agenda, I made the chocolate sauce mainly for the pictures ;)
So, here comes the step by step pictures…
Melt chocolate & butter over hot water, let it cool completely…
Combine all ingredients in medium bowl, beat on low speed with electric mixer until ingredients are combined. Increase speed to medium, beat for about 3 mins or until mixture is changed in color and smooth…
Recipe adapted from Cakes & Slices Cookbook by Australian Women’s Weekly
- Dark chocolate – 250 gm, chopped (refer notes)
- Unsalted butter – 125 gm
- Castor sugar – ⅔ cup (refer notes for substitute)
- Self raising flour – ⅔ cup (refer notes for substitute)
- Eggs – 4, lightly beaten @ room temp
- Preheat oven to 180 C, 10 mins before baking.
- Grease a 7 or 8 inch square tin with butter and line the greased tin with baking/parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate & butter over hot water (double boiler method), let it cool completely. Combine melted chocolate and butter and all the other ingredients in medium bowl.
- Beat on low speed with electric mixer until ingredients are combined. Increase speed to medium, beat for about 3 mins or until mixture is changed in color and smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan, bake at 180 C for 30 mins. Let it cool. Serve dusted with sifted icing sugar.