One of my readers Mariya from Doha,Qatar, sent an email asking me to post some grilled recipes. She asked me long time back and I promised her also. But it took sometime for the promise to materialize. Anyways, better late than never :). Mariya, hope you are reading this post.
I first had this kabab at one of our friend’s place. We both, Jose & myself loved it so much that we stuffed ourselves with the kabab and finally we had no space for the main course :). While having this kabab, I remembered Mariya’s email and asked my friend for the recipe. This recipe is from Nita Mehta’s book, Punjabi Khanna. She gave me the book itself, so you can see more Punjabi recipes here in the future :). Thanks a ton, Simi for introducing us to this.
Here is the recipe for delicious malai kababs:
- Boneless chicken - 500gms, cut into 1½" pieces
- Fresh cream - ¼ cup (refer notes)
- Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Ginger paste - 2 tsp
- Garam masala - ½ tsp
- Amchoor (dry mango powder) - ¼ tsp
- Jeera powder - ½ tsp
- Salt - 1½ tsp
- Green cardamom powder - ¼ tsp (seeds of 2-3 cardamom crushed)
- Green chillies - 2, ground (optional)
- White pepper powder - 1½ tsp (refer notes)
- Yogurt - 2-3 tbsp
- Green chilly - 1
- Coriander &M int leaves - a small handful
- For Kabab
- Mix together cream, ginger & garlic paste and all the other ingredients to form the marinade. Marinate chicken for 5-6 hours in the refrigerator, covered with a cling film. Heat oven to 180 C. Brush the wire rack or grill of the oven with oil. Place chicken pieces on it and grill them for for 15-18 minutes overturning them every few minutes till they are nice and tender (refer notes).Serve hot with coriander mint chutney.
- For Chutney
- Blend together all the ingredients in a blender/processor.
Recipe Source: Punjabi Khanna by Nita Mehta